Re: Getting coordinates of array member

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26292] Re: [mg26247] Getting coordinates of array member
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:20:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

GetPos[{x_, y_}, mat_List] := mat[[y, x]];

GetCoord[value_, mat_List] := Reverse /@ Position[mat, value];

mat = Partition[Range[9], 3];

GetPos[{1, 3}, mat]

7

GetCoord[%, mat]

{{1, 3}}

This is a list of coordinates since, in general, there can be more than one
coordinate with the specified value. For example,

mat = IdentityMatrix[3];

GetCoord[1, mat]

Bob Hanlon