Re: Mathlink probs under Unix

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26275] Re: Mathlink probs under Unix
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:19:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 6 Dec 2000 02:56:14 -0500, number9 <number9 at cox-internet.com>
wrote:

> Hello, I have a Mathematica problem that perhaps someone has come across...
>
> I have a Sun box running Solaris8 with Mathematica 4.0 installed. I am trying to
>
> compile the "fastbinary" addon (binary.tm) for Mathematica. I have downloaded it
>
> from mathsource and I am having some problems compiling it. (I am using
> GNU gcc for my compiler). From what I have read, I can either use mcc to
>
> compile this (with the CC flag set to gcc) or use mprep and them compile
>
> by hand. Here is what is going on:
>
> Using mcc:
>
> $ mcc -o binary
> -l/usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/MathLink/DevelopersKits/Solaris/CompilerAdditions/
> binary.tm -lnsl -lsocket
> binary.tm:468: unterminated character constant
>
> Manually:
>
> $ mprep binary.tm -o binary..c
> $ gcc -o binary
> -l/usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/MathLink/DevelopersKits/Solaris/CompilerAdditions/
> binary.c -lnsl -lsocket
> binary.tm:468: unterminated character constant
>
> I can not seem to get around this. I have ftp'd the files to another
> solaris host w/Mathematica
> and I get slightly differing results (it complains with mcc about 4000
> errors and fails)
>
> I am probably doing something idiotic, as I have not compiled anything
> in years...
> but I would like to know what it is. I am trying to read in some large
> data sets
> and I have heard that this is the way to do it (w/fast binary)

I can't reproduce this using GCC 2.8.1 for Solaris running on a
Solaris 2.6 machine.  The build steps that I used were:

mprep binary.tm -o binary.tm.c

gcc -c -I <path to mathlink.h> binary.tm.c

gcc -o binary -L <path to libML.a> binary.tm.o -lnsl -lsocket -lm -lML

Note the additional flags that link to the math and MathLink libraries
in the linking pass.

What release of GCC are you using?

--
P.J. Hinton