from Visual Basic To Mathematica through JLink: examples and problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26278] from Visual Basic To Mathematica through JLink: examples and problems
  • From: "rani olam" <okayr9 at cool.com.jo>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 00:19:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi
Suppose you are in Visual Basic and have  big numbers of  42 digits
size each and you want to find if any number is a prime or not from that
(aNum)  to (aNum+10) in a loop, this is not possible by Visual Basic, so
while we are relaxing in the easy life  in the Grand VB Yacht with all
rich aspects, we need here to communicate with the supersonic JUMBO
Airplane "Mathematica"   using JLink from
http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/jlink
to calculate our big numbers, the following are  2 solutions , the first
one  derived from Todd Gayley ideas about delivering the expressions as
strings to mathematica,
as in
http://library.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2000/Dec/msg00012.html
 we will not resort to the NextPrime Function in Mathematica , as my
purpose is a demonstration of some plans, the concise solution , and the
long one, you could draw two buttons on a Form then copy and paste .

Private Sub Command1_Click()
Dim aNum As String
aNum="111111111111111111111111111111122345678916"
Set link = GetObject("java:com.wolfram.jlink.KernelLinkCOM")
    link.setLink ("-linkname 'C:\Program =
Files\Mathematica\4.0\\mathkernel' -linkmode launch")

' You must set the above directory to accommodate the mathematica kernel
directory in your system
link.discardAnswer
Text1.Text = link.evaluateToOutputForm("Table[" & "PrimeQ[" & aNum &
"+ i], {i,10}]",0)         ' Text1.Text is a text box in the visual
basic Form

link.close
End Sub
' ================
' The long solution
Private Sub Command2_Click()
Dim aNum As String
aNum="111111111111111111111111111111122345678917"
newline=chr(13) + chr(10)
Text1.Text=""
'  you may construct a 900 digits number from the following code but you
can not use it
'  here as input to PrimeQ .
'    dim aNum as string
'    for j=1 to 100
'    for i=1 to 9
'    aNum=aNum + Right(Str(i),1)
'    next i
'    next j
Set link = GetObject("java:com.wolfram.jlink.KernelLinkCOM")
    link.setLink ("-linkname 'C:\Program
Files\Mathematica\4.0\\mathkernel' -linkmode launch")

' You must set the above directory to accommodate the mathematica kernel
directory in your system

link.discardAnswer
For i = 1 to 10
link.putFunction "EvaluatePacket", 1
link.putFunction "PrimeQ", 1
link.putFunction "ToExpression", 1
link.put (aNum)
link.waitForAnswer
a = link.getString
If a = "True" Then
      Text1.Text = Text1.Text & aNum & " Prime" & newline '
displayingthe Prime number in the Text
'
               Box In The VB Form
Else
       Text1.Text = Text1.Text & aNum & " Not prime" & newline
End If
'  below we will add 1 to the number  aNum
a = link.endPacket()
link.putFunction "EvaluatePacket" , 1
link.putFunction "Plus" , 2
link.putFunction "ToExpression", 1
link.put (aNum)
link.put 1                      ' add one to the aNum
link.waitForAnswer
aNum = link.getString
Text1.Text = Text1.Text & newline & aNum & newline
a=link.endPacket()
Next i
link.Close
End Sub
' =======================
from the above example the number
111111111111111111111111111111122345678921 will be displayed in the
Text1.Text as a Prime number,   this example is just a demostration , i
hope VB fans will utilise JLink in connecting to mathematica so they
will benefit from the powerfull capabilities, and the other people think
that they are geniuses while they are phoning to mathematica kernel for
the answers which delivered to them through Jlink underground Cables.
there is a problem with graphics  : How we could plot the function
Plot[x,{x,0,1}] in a Picture1.Picture or Image1.Image in Visual Basic
Form ?? every time i get an error.
Please Help
rani olam