RE: What makes things Listable?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg26317] RE: [mg26302] What makes things Listable?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:38:02 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Chris,

I think you want to use the Apply function. Applying f to a list {x,y,z} is
the same as f[x,y,z]. Here is an example.

f[x_, y_, z_] := Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2]

f @@ {x, y, z}
Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2]

This is most convenient when you want to apply f to a list of vectors which
contain the arguments for f:

{Sqrt[x^2 + y^2 + z^2], Sqrt[p^2 + q^2 + r^2], Sqrt[14]}

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net