Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22267] Re: Mathematica formulae as Word metafiles
  • From: Tom Burton <tburton at brahea.com>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 20:00:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

On 17 Feb 2000 01:57:42 -0500, in comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica you
wrote:

>I have a need to share work with colleagues who do not have Mathematica and
>have little interest in downloading MathReader.

Facing a similar situation, I saw two alternatives: (1) Use bitmaps
instead of metafiles, because they are portable. (2) Cajole my readers
to use MathReader.

Alternative (2) has been much better. One tactic I can recommend is to
bundle your documents with the MathReader installer on a zip disk. Mail
copies of the disk to your readers.  By the time one of them inserts the
zip disk into the drive, she is only seconds away from installing
MathReader. Only the most subborn reader will refuse.

(A caution: My limited experience with MathReader 3 for Mac reading
files prepared with Mathematica 4 on a PC is not good. All other
combinations of versions 3 & 4, PC and Mac, and Mathematica and
MathReader seem to work fine.)

Before you mail to hundreds of readers, you should get written
permission to distribute MathReader from Wolfram. This permission is
freely given, in my experience.

Good luck,
Tom Burton