Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22294] Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?
  • From: James Fuite and Tania Nordli <jfuite at>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:01:26 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Advanced Mathematica Users,

     I am not able to use the function NotebookOpen in Version 3. on
MacOS 8.1, and after modest investigations, I have to turn to you for
advice.  What follows is an example.

Expand[(a+b)^3] >> "sample.nb"

   a^3 + 3*a^2*b + 3*a*b^2 +b^3

So I can look at the file, just not open it.  Yet, further probes
indicate, at least to me, that everything is in order.

   Macintosh HD:Mathematica 3.0 Files

ToFileName /@ (NotebookPath /. Options[$FrontEnd, NotebookPath])

   {Macintosh HD:System Folder:
    :$HomeDirectory:, :$TopDirectory:}

   Macintosh HD:Mathematica 3.0 Files

It seems to me that the notebook "sample.nb" should be found and
opened.  Suggestions?

  James J. Fuite.