Re: Getting graphic outputs from background jobs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22302] Re: Getting graphic outputs from background jobs
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at ifm.uni-hamburg.de>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:01:18 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Otto Linsuain wrote:

> Hello. I am using mathematica 4.0 on a Unix worstation. I create text
> files from my notebboks and run them in the background with commands
> like:
> math < infile > outfile & , however if there is any graph command in the
> infile, then I won't see anything in the output, not even the output of
> the rest of the cells.  Actually mathematica does not run the notebook,
> which I can tell by how fast it is done with it. The output file
> contains a comment like Can't load graphic motif or something along
> those lines, and then lines like In1:=
> Out1:=  , and nothing else.
>
>  I get the same result if I delete all the graphic-related commands, but
> make the first line of my file AppendTo[$Echo,"stdout"]. This is
> supposed to print the input lines in the output file, and causes trouble
> probably because I use greek characters in the input.
>
> So the bottom line is: Is there a way of getting graphic output from
> background jobs? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Otto Linsuain.

Hi Otto,

The following will probably work for you.

Prevent the graphics output to be plotted and store it into an
expression:

 pltout = Plot[Sin[x + 0.1*x^2],
   {x, 0, 20}, DisplayFunction -> Identity]

Write the plot data to disk:
 Save["pltout.m", pltout]

Start notebook and read the plot data:
Get["pltout.m"]

Now you can display it, but do not forget to replace the
DisplayFunction:
Show[pltout, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction]

With Mathematica 4 you also can use Export to store graphics in many formats
(GIF, TIFF, ...).

Hope this helps,
Harald

--

Harald Giese
Email: giese at dkrz.de
Phone: +49 (0)40 42838 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg