Re: Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22306] Re: [mg22294] Notional NotebookOpen Nonplus?
  • From: Preston Nichols <pnichols at>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:01:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Although your file "sample.nb" contains a Mathematica expression and has
the .nb extension, it's not a Notebook!

A Notebook is a file, which, as plain text, consists of a "Notebook

and NotebookOpen[] works on files of that form.

One fix might be something like

tmp = Expand[(a + b)^3];
Notebook[{Cell[ToString[InputForm[tmp]], "Output"]}] >>"sample.nb"

But I get the impression that code such as the following is even more "in
the correct spirit" for Notebook manipulation, though it is probably not
verbatim what you'll want to do for your project.

tmpnb = NotebookCreate[];

NotebookWrite[tmpnb, "Expand[(a+b)^3]"];

SelectionMove[tmpnb, Previous, Cell];

NotebookSave[tmpnb, "sample.nb"]

I hope this helps a little.

Preston Nichols