linux question

dear all,

i'm running mathematica on a linux system.  it was installed as root, and
apparently, only runs when i'm root.  i don't want to run mathematica (let
alone X) as root.  for the other user-space accounts, it wants a password
again.

there are a few accounts on my home system that i use -- one account
specifically for my oral's research, one general purpose, one for some
papers i'm writing.  i'd like to be able to use mathematica from all of
them.

do i have any options other than having a separate license for each account
(which i obviously won't do).

thanks!
pete