Simplification During Integration

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21391] Simplification During Integration
  • From: Joel Storch <jstorch at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 03:12:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In performing a definite or indefinite integral, Mathematica performs
transformations on parameters which are not dependent upon the variable
of integration. How do I supress this type of behavior ?

Example: Consider the two term expression

  y=Tan[g]^2 Sin[g]^3 Cos[t]^2 + Tan[g]^3 Sin[g]^2 Sin[t]^2

Integrate[y,{t,0,a}] results in an expression in which the
trigonometric functions of g have been transformed. I would
expect Mathematica to recognize that these factors are independent of t
and simply "pull them out" from the integral. Integrating either of the
terms separately, does not result in these type of transformations.