FrameLabel rotation wrong

Dear Mathematica experts,

Whenever I try to put FrameLabels on one of my Plots, e.g.
"Plot[x,{x,0,10},Frame->True,FrameLabel->{"foo","bar"}], Mathematica
rotates *every single letter* of the y axis label, written from bottom
up. So, the output looks approximately like this:

r      /
a     /
b    /
    /
   /
            foo

What I want is the *word* "bar" rotated by 90 degrees. I experimented
with option RotateLabel, but all I got was unrotated labels or the same
output as above. What can I do?

-- Al