Re: 12-bit Tiffs importable?

On 19 Jul 2000 owenzooey at my-deja.com wrote:

> I'm trying to import a 12-bit tiff scan acquired with Image Pro
> Express and get and error for invalid tiff format.  Can only 8 bit
> tiffs be imported?

You'll have to be a little clearer by what you mean by a 12-bit TIFF
scan.  Judging from the information at Image Pro Express' website:

http://www.mediacy.com/ipe.htm

I assume that you're referring to 12-bit gray scales.

The TIFF import code adheres to the TIFF revision 6 standard:

http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/PDFS/TN/TIFF6.pdf

Only grayscales of 4- and 8-bits per sample are allowed in the
standard.  Your software must be relying on some vendor-specific
extension.

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com