Re: 12-bit Tiffs importable?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24506] Re: 12-bit Tiffs importable?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 03:01:45 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 19 Jul 2000 owenzooey at wrote:

> I'm trying to import a 12-bit tiff scan acquired with Image Pro
> Express and get and error for invalid tiff format.  Can only 8 bit
> tiffs be imported?

You'll have to be a little clearer by what you mean by a 12-bit TIFF
scan.  Judging from the information at Image Pro Express' website:

I assume that you're referring to 12-bit gray scales.

The TIFF import code adheres to the TIFF revision 6 standard:

Only grayscales of 4- and 8-bits per sample are allowed in the
standard.  Your software must be relying on some vendor-specific

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.