I'm lacking machine-sized real numbers again, help please.

I'm getting hit by another lack of machine-sized real numbers again:

w0=1; a=0.05;
y[w_]:= FourierTransform[UnitStep[t] Exp[-(a +I w0)t],t,w]

I now try to plot it and I get my usual failure to do right evidenced
by the thing not being "...a machine sized real number ".

So, I try to evaluate it at one point (I'm typing all this because
cutting and pasting never works for Mathematica text).

evaluating y[2] gives

(0.01 +0.40 I) + DiracDelta[1+0.05 I]

Seems to me like DiracDelta[1+0.05 I] should be zero but I can't get
it to go away and it appears to keep me from using the function at
all.  I'm getting nowhere.... can someone offer a suggestion of what
to do next?

Thanks, Rob

Please use robpeterson at iname.com for email.
http://freeweb.pdq.net/piovere