I'm lacking machine-sized real numbers again, help please.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24146] I'm lacking machine-sized real numbers again, help please.
- From: piovere at pdq.net (rob)
- Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:12:00 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: PDQ.net (using Airnews.net!)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
I'm getting hit by another lack of machine-sized real numbers again: w0=1; a=0.05; y[w_]:= FourierTransform[UnitStep[t] Exp[-(a +I w0)t],t,w] I now try to plot it and I get my usual failure to do right evidenced by the thing not being "...a machine sized real number ". So, I try to evaluate it at one point (I'm typing all this because cutting and pasting never works for Mathematica text). evaluating y gives (0.01 +0.40 I) + DiracDelta[1+0.05 I] Seems to me like DiracDelta[1+0.05 I] should be zero but I can't get it to go away and it appears to keep me from using the function at all. I'm getting nowhere.... can someone offer a suggestion of what to do next? Thanks, Rob Please use robpeterson at iname.com for email. http://freeweb.pdq.net/piovere <AHREF="http://freeweb.pdq.net/piovere/">(added for the AOL-challenged)