Re: AIX 4.3 Mathematica MathKernel Out of Memory

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24176] Re: AIX 4.3 Mathematica MathKernel Out of Memory
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:50:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

ecbrown at wrote:
> Dear All:
>         I am using Mathematica version 3.0 on an IBM
> RS6000 43P running AIX 4.3 with 2 GB of real
> memory (and a load of swap).  My problem is this:
>         While there is clearly 1.6 GB of memory free, my
> Mathematica program runs out of memory and gives
> the error
> Out of Memory.  Exiting.
> once it consumes something like 160 MB (determined
> by following in top) of memory.  I checked out
> ulimit and it returned unlimited.  Is there
> something that I am forgetting or need to
> "switch?"  Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Hi Eric,

I had this bug with Mathematica 3.0 for Windows.

Maybe it is a similar bug for the AIX version - you should contact WRI.

Harald Giese
Email: giese at
Phone: +49 (0)40 42838 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg