Re: Trouble with backspace under Linux/i386

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22465] Re: Trouble with backspace under Linux/i386
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:22:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 4 Mar 2000, Laurent Jacques wrote:

> I'm new user of Mathematica 4.0 and I try to install a trial version on
> a Linux network (for others users).
> Unfortunately, I have the following troubles.
>
> Apparently, the correct fonts are loaded (Type1 and X) but sometimes the
> backspace key doesn't respond.
> Instead of a backspacing it's just a spacing.
> In addition, when this doesn't work, it is impossible to select with the
> mouse one line of the notebook.
> (instead, all lines are selected). In fact, I think that all works as if
> the shift key was pressed during all operations but this is not the
> case.
>
> What's wrong ? Is it another option of 'xset' to configure ? Another
> fonts to load ? Some Mathematica options to select ?

Check to see if your Num Lock key is turned on.  Under XFree86, the
logical key Mod2 is mapped to this key.  Depressing Mod2 does the
following actions.

1) You can scroll through a notebook by pressing down the Mouse1 button
and moving the mouse up and down.

2) Clicking on a cell of a given style results in all cells of that style
being selected.

This state is indicated by the mouse pointer taking on a hand shape.

To get out of this state, toggle off the Num Lock key.

MacOS and Windows user also have a similar feature.  It is exercised
through the Option key or the Alt key respectively.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.