Re: Digitizing points in a graphic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg22470] Re: [mg22421] Digitizing points in a graphic
  • From: adam_smith at my-deja.com
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:22:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Just a warning about the method mentioned by David Park.  Someone might
read the last statement: "If you click off a series of points, then
Copy will give you a list of the points." as meaning that the points
which lie along the graph are selected.  This is not the case, the copy
command simply grabs whatever (x,y) coordinates correspond to the mouse
pointer's position on the screen - They are not necessarily points that
lie along the graph.

Adam Smith

In article <89qgpv$aj9 at smc.vnet.net>,
  "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net> wrote:
> David,
>
> To capture points on a graph:
> 1) Left click on the graph to select it.
> 2) Hold down Ctrl and put the cursor over the point you want.
> 3) Left click on the point.
> 4) Use Copy (From the menu, or use Ctrl-C, or right click and select
Copy)
> 5) Then paste the resulting coordinates into your expression.
>
> If you click off a series of points, then Copy will give you a list
of the points.

> David Park
> djmp at earthlink.net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/
>
> >The Windows front end allows us to move the cursor around in a
graphic
> >and read the coordinates by holding down the control key. That's
nice,
> >but you have to read the coordinates from the screen by eyeball. Does
> >anyone know of a means to capture the cursor coordinate? I would like
> >to be able to repeatedly digitize points and have them added to a
list
> >of vectors.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >David