approximation by rationals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23487] approximation by rationals
  • From: "Matt Herman" <Henayni at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 22:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi,

there is a number theory theorem which states that if |z-(a/b)|< 1/(2
b^2), then a/b is a convergent of z. If this is true, then why when I go
into mathematica and set z=E and a/b = 106/39, which is a convergent
of E, the inequality is false? Is this a problem in mathematica's
numerical evaluation, or a problem in the theorem? Is the theorem only
valid when z is a quadratic irrational? Because the theorem works for
z=Pi. Also the stronger form of the theorem is |zb-a|<1/2b^2. This is
false when z=E. Again the same question as above.

Matt