Experimental data as function?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25755] Experimental data as function?
  • From: Eric Sommer <erso at hrem.mpi-stuttgart.mpg.de>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I have measured an experimental curve and the data are available as
(x,y=f(x)) ASCII data pairs. I would like to use this curve as a
function that I can insert, for example, in calculations, or that I can
integrate. It should work in the way that for a given x, the measured y
value will be taken.
I found methods to import data as lists, but could not find any hint to
use them as a function.

Is there a possibility to create such a function with Mathematica? How
can it be done? What will happen, e.g. for an integration, when x values
appear that were not measured?

Thank you,
Eric Sommer