Re: About N in Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25358] Re: About N in Mathematica 4
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 03:01:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

N[Pi, 3]

3.14159

In fact we get 16 digits for machine numbere (inexact with less than 18
significant digits, test with MachineNumberQ) but only 6 are displayed
(controled by option PrintPrecision - see option inspector).

% // InputForm

3.141592653589793

To show three decimal places we control the display with NumberForm:

NumberForm[N[Pi], {Infinity, 3}]

"3.142"

Arbitrary precision numbers (eg inexact with >17 significant digits) with
precision pr display pr, possibly pr+1, significant digits)

NumberForm[N[Pi, 30], DigitBlock -> 5]

"3.14159,26535,89793,23846,26433,8328"

--
Allan