RE: sampling without replacement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg25417] RE: sampling without replacement
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <ludsteck at zew.de>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:07:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Group members,
Unfortunately I deleted the mail I respond to here.
The sender wanted to know how to speed up a sampling procedure
for sampling from a list without replacement.
The solution seems to be very simple (if I do not make a mistake):
If the list has n elements, for example
t = Table[Random[], {n}]
you get a random sample of s elements without replacement from t
with
t[[Take[RandomPermutation[n], s]]]

Of course, you must include the Package
DiscreteMath`Permutations` before using RandomPermutation.
This method should be very fast. (I have not the time to try it).

Best regards,
	Johannes

Johannes Ludsteck
Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW)
Department of Labour Economics,
Human Resources and Social Policy
Phone (+49)(0)621/1235-157
Fax (+49)(0)621/1235-225