Re: About N in Mathematica 4

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg25388] Re: About N in Mathematica 4
  • From: phbrf at (Peter Breitfeld)
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 01:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Sistrall <silvano.stralla at> schrieb:
> Hi!
> I've a question about the function N in Mathematica 4. I haven't found
> information about this problem.
> The question is: why if I use N[Pi,30] I'll have a number of 30 decimal
> digits, but with N[Pi,10] or N[Pi,3] I'll get a number of 6 digits?
> The right number of digits is given only if I use a precision bigger than
> the precision of the machine. But if I want a number of 3 decimal digits?
> Thanks.
This has been changed from Mathematica 3.0 to Mathematica 4.0. The display of the
numbers has now to be done using NumberForm[], whereas N[] only sets the

There is more information on Wolframs site, IIRC look for the site named

  How does Mathematica 4.0 change N in the display of machine numbers?

or similiar.

Gruss,  Peter
 Peter Breitfeld, Bad Saulgau, Germany    PGP public key: 08548045