Patterns Problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28151] Patterns Problem
  • From: Janusz Kawczak <jkawczak at>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 02:18:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Mathematica Users:

I am trying to force an output to appeat in  a certain way, but without
success. Here is my problem.

First, how to "teach" M. that some symbols are matrices, vectors, etc...
that the laws of the real arithmetic do not apply.

Let's take A to be a matrix, and u and v, vectors.
I would like to have the following:

u A (u - <u>)=u A u -u A <u>

the operator is not symmetric. Whenever I do this oparation I get
something like
A u u or A u ^2. I just cannot force the order to be correct!

Also, I would like to have the oparator to
be iterative, i.e.

v A {(u A (u - <u>) -<u A (u - <u>)>}

Any suggestions.
Thank you in advance.