Re: Manipulating Strings

 I have made some improvements on my original function. It now handles
arbitrary length sequence of characters:

squash3[str_String] := Module[{SeqRule},
    SeqRule =
      Join[Thread[
          Map[# <> # &, CharacterRange["a", "z"]] ->
            CharacterRange["a", "z"]],
        Thread[Map[# <> # &, CharacterRange["A", "Z"]] ->
            CharacterRange["A", "Z"]]];
    FixedPoint[StringReplace[#, SeqRule] &, str]]

Still seems a bit clunky. Any ideas how this may be further improved.

Brian