Re: InputAliases

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28256] Re: [mg28230] InputAliases
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:53:04 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, David Park wrote:

> I would like to make an InputAlias for the following three lines so I don't
> have to type them in each time I do an animation.
> SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], All, GeneratedCell]
> FrontEndTokenExecute["OpenCloseGroup"]
> FrontEndTokenExecute["SelectionAnimate"]
> However, when I copy these lines into the InputAliases Dialog Box in the
> Option Inspector I run into all kinds of problems. When I try to enter the
> alias, Mathematica doesn't like the box structure. Also it seems that there
> is a limit on the size of the replacement. I can make an alias for the first
> line alone, but not for all three lines as a unit.
> Can anyone show me how to do this?

You may want to reconsider the fundamentals behind your approach.
Defining an input alias to paste a code snippet sounds like a very awkard
thing to do.  Have you considered putting this operation under a button
that either performs the operation or pastes the expression?  Saving this
kind of a button as a palette notebook would be more robust since you
could lose your InputAlias settings if you needed to delete the front end
init.m file.

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.