Re: help to plot..please

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28499] Re: [mg28485] help to plot..please
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 21:03:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

There are many ways to draw graphs in Mathematica, and I advise you to spend
a few weeks studying The Book or some other of the excellent many texts on
the subject. You'll find this a very rewarding exercise. Now, in the
particular example you posted, it seems that you want to use ImplicitPlot
(you might also solve the equation of the circle for y, and then use Plot,
but in more difficult cases it might not be possible to solve). There is a
package called ImplicitPlot, which you must load *prior* to calling the
function -this is very important ! Then, simply plot:

<< Graphics`ImplicitPlot`
ImplicitPlot[x^2 + y^2 == 4, {x, -2, 2}];

This will do what you want. Now, there are many options and all sorts of
embellishments, but you'll have to work hard at it before you can extract
the full power of Mathematica.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City