using the escape key for shortcuts

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28573] using the escape key for shortcuts
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p at>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:35:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

one of my favorite things about Mathematica is the few shortcuts i know, like for
greek letters:

<ESC>a<ESC>     produces an alpha
<ESC>pi<ESC>     produces a pi

i want to know more, and found a file which looks like a
goldmine of shortcuts.  however, they don't seem to be working.

for instance, i would be very interested to know how to enter fractions
without clicking on the palette.  there seems to be a definition for
FractionBox, but when i try:

nothing happens.  perhaps i'm not using the information from this file
correctly.  can someone tell me how to get a fractionbox without clicking the
palette?  i can probably figure the rest out once i know that one.  :)

"The following addresses had permanent fatal errors..."      p at
                               -- Mailer Daemon