photonic band gaps

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31842] photonic band gaps
  • From: arkeltoi at aol.com (Arkeltoi)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 05:56:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi.

I am a graduate student in physics, and I currently have a project for my
nonlinear optics class that involves basic modeling of photonic band gap
structures.  I am using Mathematica for this project, and I am at a loss about
how to begin.  I have the book _Photonic Crystals:  Molding the Flow of Light_
by Joannopoulos et. al. (wonderful book, by the way) but it does not go into
detail about modeling.  It refers some sources, but these are maybe over my
head a bit.  I would be interested in seeing some source code (Mathematica,
C/++, etc.) or maybe a basic overview of the modeling of photonic band gaps.
Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Gary Russell