Again: Linux font problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32001] Again: Linux font problem
  • From: Harald von der Osten-Woldenburg <hvdosten at lb.netic.de>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 06:01:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

several days ago another user reported of this problem, now I have the
same. But I can not solve this problem, following all the suggestions.

I have upgraded SuSE Linux 7.2 -> 7.3 and Mathematica 4.1.0 -> 4.1.2

xlsfonts | wc -l responds with "9205" and I have corrected the second
line in the file Specific.tr

In /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts there are two
subdirectories:

first directory: Type1
second directory: X

I get the Startup Warning:
"The front end could not locate a CharacterEncoding file for the
requested encoding (ISO10646-1)"

Pressing "continue" leads to a stderr-message:

Actions not found: delete-next-character

which is repeated six times in this window

pressing "close" opens another stderr-window with the same error-message
(but now: 7 times repeated).

If I use:

xrdb /opt/kde/share/config/kdmrc

the "Actions not found"-error doesn#t appear any longer, but a Startup
Warning occurs and all the characters appear as small boxes, also in
"Untitled-1" etc.

Using

xset fp+ /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/{Type1 | X}

as suggested makes no change.

I would be very very happy if someone can give me a hint how to overcome
this problem.

Thank you very much.

Harald

P.S.: The kdmrc-file mentioned above contains the following lines:

# KDE Config File
[KDMDESKTOP]
BackgroundColor=
FancyBackGround=0
BackGroundPicture=/opt/kde/share/wallpapers//suse-logo.xpm
BackgroundPictureTile=2
BackGroundPictureMode=TopLeft
BackGroundColor1=80,80,112
BackGroundColor2=122,122,175
BackGroundColorMode=Vertical
[Locale]
Language=de
[KDM]
GreetString[en]=Welcome to SuSE Linux at HOSTNAME
GreetString[id]=Selamat datang di sistem Linux SuSE pada HOSTNAME
GreetString[de]=Willkommen bei SuSE Linux auf HOSTNAME
SortUsers=true
NoUsers=bin;daemon;games;halt;mail;man;news;reboot;shutdown;sync;uucp;xten;

GreetString[it]=Benvenuti a SuSE Linux su HOSTNAME
GreetString=Willkommen bei der vdO-Workstation auf HOSTNAME
GreetString=Willkommen bei der vdO-Workstation auf HOSTNAME
GreetString[cs]=Vítejte do SuSE Linux na HOSTNAME
UserView=true
ShutdownButton=RootOnly
GreetString[fr]=Bienvenu à SuSE Linux sur HOSTNAME
EchoMode=NoStars
GreetString[hu]=Üdvözli a SuSE Linux a HOSTNAME gépen
FailFont=helvetica,12,5,iso-8859-1,75,0
LogoPixmap=/opt/kde/share/apps/kdm/pics/suse-logo.xpm
GreetString[sk]=Víta Vás SuSE Linux na HOSTNAME
GreetFont=charter,24,5,iso-8859-1,50,0
GreetString[es]=Bienvenido a SuSE Linux en HOSTNAME
StdFont=Helvetica,12,5,iso-8859-1,50,0
GreetString[pl]=Witamy w SuSE-Linuksie na ho¶cie HOSTNAME
GreetString[pt_BR]=Bem vindo ao SuSE Linux em HOSTNAME
SessionTypes=kde;SuSE;windowmaker;afterstep;fvwm2;fvwm95;mwm;failsafe;
Restart=/sbin/reboot
GreetString[nl]=Welkom bij SuSE Linux op HOSTNAME
GUIStyle=Motif
ShutDown=/sbin/halt

--
Harald von der Osten-Woldenburg
Geophysical Prospection of Archaeological Sites