Re: Again: Linux font problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32025] Re: [mg32001] Again: Linux font problem
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:29:03 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Harald von der Osten-Woldenburg wrote:

> several days ago another user reported of this problem, now I have the
> same. But I can not solve this problem, following all the suggestions.
>
> I have upgraded SuSE Linux 7.2 -> 7.3 and Mathematica 4.1.0 -> 4.1.2
>
> xlsfonts | wc -l responds with "9205" and I have corrected the second
> line in the file Specific.tr

To what value did you change the setting?

> In /usr/local/mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts there are two
> subdirectories:
>
> first directory: Type1
> second directory: X

This is correct.  The X directory contains bitmap fonts that cover a large
range of common font sizes.  The Type 1 directory contains outline fonts
for sizes not covered by the bitmap fonts.

> I get the Startup Warning:
> "The front end could not locate a CharacterEncoding file for the
> requested encoding (ISO10646-1)"

Rerun the xlsfonts command and redirect the output to a file:

	xlsfonts > /tmp/outfile.txt

Pop open this file in your favorite text editor and check to see if there
are fonts with registry and encoding fields set to ISO10646 and 1
respectively.

> Pressing "continue" leads to a stderr-message:
>
> Actions not found: delete-next-character
>
> which is repeated six times in this window
>
> pressing "close" opens another stderr-window with the same error-message
> (but now: 7 times repeated).

This is a known problem that is covered on both the SuSE and Mathematica
FAQ pages.

http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/intel/deletenext.html
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/mathematica3.html

--