Re: mathematica crashes after 10 seconds of computation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27104] Re: mathematica crashes after 10 seconds of computation
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 02:58:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Anthony Yeung" <syeung at cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote in message
news:95gm1d$8hb at smc.vnet.net...
> In <9587kb$3cq at smc.vnet.net> "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com> writes:
>
> >"Anthony Yeung" <syeung at cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote in message
> >news:955vpp$2v at smc.vnet.net...
> >> hi all,
> >>    I have this problem on my Win98 machine. The math kernel quits
> >> whenever the computation is intensive (for several seconds). It sounds
> >> like it hits the maxmemory and crashed. This computer is PIII 750 with
> >128Meg
> >> RAM. I don<t know how to fix it. The version of mathematica is version
4.

> >Please define "quits." Does it exit, or does it hang? And please tell us
> >what it is evaluating.
>
> >There are any number of legitimate expressions that will cause the kernel
> >work indefinitely long, and use up lots of system resources as well.
>
> hi Paul,
>    Now I got the message:
>
> The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down
(Mathekernel)

> Invalid page fault in module mathedll.dll at 017f:6402ee45
>
> Registers:
>
> Bytes at CS:EIP:
> Stack Dump:
>
> My system monitor indicates the unused physical memory is closed to zero
and the swap space has just started
> to grow. I have lots of swap space though (Windows managing)

Without seeing the specific problem you posed to Mathematica, no one can
say, but it is likely that your Windows install is corrupted. Just an
educated guess. You can verify this easily by sitting at any other computer
for a few minutes. Install Mathematica, pose the same problem. See what
happens.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com