Re: Editing formulas for the web

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg27431] Re: Editing formulas for the web
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:55:35 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

"Nico Sterk" <n.sterk at> wrote in message
news:97a6qi$ak7 at
> Hello,
> I want to design a web page specially dedicates to hot topics in math and
> related subjects, but I don't know a good all round editor for formulas on
> the web. Microsoft Word is doing kind of OK but the set of symbols is
> limited and formulas are mostly translated to gif-images, which a too
> consuming, especially for those with a slow internet connection.

You've posted this same inquiry in several places, and everyone who has
replied has offered you the same advice. Here it is again.

If you want visitors to your site to see your mathematics, you must use
GIFs. All the major mathematical sites use GIFs, because this assures that
the average visitor will be able to see the equations.

1. Go to sites that posts equations (examples:,, as just two sites with a lot of equations). Notice
that they use GIFs.

2. Save a Mathematica notebook as a Web page. Notice that the equations are
automatically rendered as GIFs.

3. Learn how Web browsers work. Realize that, if you post anything besides
GIFs, some (probably most) of your visitors will not be able to view your

Good luck!

Paul Lutus