Scanning 2DGraph

Hello All,

I have A 2D curve on paper. I want to interpolate the curve using
Mathematica. I would scan it with a scanner, save the image to a file,
convert
the curve image into a set of Cartesian coordinates (4-5000 dots) and
make
Mathematica read this set to interpolate the curve (approximately).

I know how to scan, but I don't know what kind of file I have to save
the
image to and how is it possible to convert the image to the set of
Cartesian coordinates. (Once I have the coordinates, I think I know how
use the Mathematica "Fit" and "Interpolate" functions.)

Thank you,

Alvaro