Importing .eps files on a Mac

I have been having problems importing .eps files produced by Adobe
Illustrator so that mathematica (on a Mac) both reads in and displays
the file.  Often mathematica gives error mesages that the file does not
contain drawing commands etc.  I probably don't have some settings set
correctly or some such.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Roy M.

PS  has anyone implemented the LaTeX files for "Save as Tex" into
Textures?