Re: horizontal cylinder

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26683] Re: [mg26652] horizontal cylinder
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:47:32 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Well, I'm not very good either, but it should take no more than a little
elementary analytic geometry to conclude that, if the radius of the tank is
r, the height of the liquid (the tank is horizontal) is h, and the length of
the tank is t, then the volume of the liquid in the tank is given by the

  t*((Pi*r^2)/2 - (r - h)*Sqrt[r^2 - (r - h)^2] - r^2*ArcSin[(r - h)/r])

 for 0 <= h <= 2 r (check this by plotting it with, say, r =1 and t = 1). I
expect you are a Mathematica user - in that case, simply paste the above
into your notebook and you're done (no programming needed). If you're not,
what can I say?

Tomas Garza
Mexico City