Re: Mathematica 4.1 + Linux + gnome/sawfish

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26949] Re: [mg26933] Mathematica 4.1 + Linux + gnome/sawfish
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:00:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 mitch_keller at wrote:

> I have a strange problem. I try to start Mathematica under
> gnome/sawfish, and it puts up the splash screen, but something goes
> awry at Initializing internal clipboards or some such thing. The mouse
> still moves and gnome panel items still highlight, but nothing is
> useable. I left it set for over an hour, and nothing happened. I have
> a 650 Mhz processor, 128MB RAM and 128 MB swap, so resources are not
> the problem. If I swap out the console before killing X with
> CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, I see that sawfish is taking up about 80-90% of my
> CPU cycles, but nothing else is out of the ordinary.
> Here's the strange part: I can load mathematica if I use the Gnome
> control center to switch window managers (on the fly) to enlightenment.
> After it's loaded, I can switch back to sawfish and everything works.
> Can somebody tell me what my problem might be?

Conventional wisdom suggests that one avoid using a pre-release version of
a software package in a day-to-day environment.  According to Sawfish's
own website, the latest release of their window manager is 0.35.

It's impossible to be certain of what may be the culprit in this
circumstance.  The documentation for the Mathematica front end for X
requires that the window manager be ICCCM compliant:

If the window manager does not meet this standard, it is not supported.

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.