RE: Derivative of multiargument function

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29700] RE: [mg29678] Derivative of multiargument function
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:08:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Apparently, Mathematica did not evaluate the derivative because the second
slot in your function was not defined as a variable slot. Using a slightly
more interesting function...

g[z_, i_] := z^i

Derivative[1, 0][g][z, 0]

Derivative[1, 0][g][z, i]
i*z^(-1 + i)

But when an expression for a function contains symbols that are clearly
separated between "parameters" and "variables", I usually prefer to define
the function this way...

g[i_][z_] := z^i

i*z^(-1 + i)

Or even more directly