newsgroup use

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29693] newsgroup use
  • From: Jeff Wilkins <jeffw at woodstone.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 03:08:19 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am wondering if participating in the newsgroup would be an
appropriate avenue for pursuing my problem.

First I should say that I do not have mathematica and have never used
the program. I am considering purchasing it if I can be assured it will
do what I need. I need to create a part in a solid modeling CAD program
that I using to design a machine.  The shape of this part needs to be
constructed from a helical spiral curve path with a variable pitch.
While constructing such a path is beyond the scope of the CAD programit
can generate such path from an imported excel spread sheet data file.
My hope is that the spiral could be produced in mathematica and saved as a
.csv file which Mathematica tech support has told me can be opened in
excel and then saved an an excel file. It would be good to try
exporting in .dxf as well. For me it would be prudent to test this theory before
purchasing mathematica for this single purpose and so I am wondering if
in joining the newsgroup I might be able to solicit someone to produce
a test curve and file for me that I could try in my CAD program. The
attached file illustrates the spiral shape.

[Contact the author to obtain the file - moderator]

If you could give me aopinion as far as joining the newsgroup to
further this research I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Jeffrey Wilkins
Wood Stone Corporation
1801 W. Bakerview RD