Re: icon to Evaluate Notebook?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29794] Re: [mg29776] icon to Evaluate Notebook?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:25:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, 1.156 wrote:

> For years I've used Mathematica and every time I want to run a program
> I have to go to the main menu under Kernel, wait for the box on the
> right to form, carefully slide my cursor to the right and then down to
> select "Evaluate Notebook".  I do it hundreds of times and I've begun
> to wonder if there isn't some better way to do such a common thing.
> Other applications I have have icons which perform common functions
> with a single click.
>
> Is there an icon somewhere that I just haven't found or does everyone
> else have to go thru this same tiresome process?

I think you're referring to a toolbar item.  Mathematica notebooks will
display a toolbar if one sets the notebook option ShowToolbar to True, but
this toolbar cannot be customized.  However, it is possible to create a
button that does the same thing as the menu command that you cite.

Paste this expression into a notebook and evaluate it to generate a
button.  Once the button is created, select the button and perform the
front end menu command File -> Generate Palette from Selection.

ButtonBox[
    StyleBox["Evaluate Notebook", "SR"],
    ButtonEvaluator -> None,
    ButtonFunction :>
      FrontEndExecute[FrontEndToken["EvaluateNotebook"]],
    Active -> True
    ] // DisplayForm

> I stumbled into the "ButtonBox" but I haven't yet figured out
> what it is (I've never found an example of its use).  Is this the
> way to simplify things here?

See Section 2.10.6 in _The Mathematica Book_ (Fourth Edition) for some
simple examples.

Additional demos may be found under the Getting Started/Demos section of
the online help.  Open the front end Help Browser and click on the
"GettingStarted/Demos" button.  Then select the following items on the
scroll panes below the buttons:

Demos -> Palette Demos

Demos -> Calendar Maker

Additional tutorial information may be found at the Wolfram Research
website.

http://www.mathsource.com/Content/General/Tutorials/Programming/0209-809

http://library.wolfram.com/conferences/devconf99/hinton/Buttons19991022.nb

--