Filename as Function Argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30023] Filename as Function Argument
  • From: Aaron Urbas <au198295 at pop.uky.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was trying to implement a function in which a file name was passed as
an argument for the function in Mathmatica 3.0.  Within the function,
then, I want to use the argument in a function call to ReadList[] to
read in data from the specified file and process it.  I tried doing this
and the function will never "compile" (not sure what the Mathematica
term is for this), it reports an error with the ReadList function.  I
also would like to do something similar with SetDirectory[] where a
directory name is passed in as a function argument.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Aaron