Re: Creating graph with only a few data points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28964] Re: Creating graph with only a few data points
  • From: Oliver Tonn<oliver.tonn at web.de>
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

>You probably could get some good help with your problem but you are not
>giving people a chance to help you. First, without giving a valid email
>address people can't communicate with you and if they can't communicate with
>you, they can't help you.

sorry about that stupid email adress. In my office I've to use a html-frontend
(www.newsranger.com) for reading news, cause our firewall don't let the
news-protocol through. Might be better now, cause I've changed some settings.
If not my email-adress is oliver.tonn at web.de

>What, exactly, is it that you want to plot? Then, how can you plot
>it to make a nice piece of graphics? Are your data points supposed to fit
>some kind of model? Then what is the model? You may need to use something
>like the Statistics`NonlinearFit` package.

I want to plot the characteristic line of some electronic devices (e.g. diodes,
thyristors, varistors). The problen is, that for many devices there is no
function that could discribe there characteristic. So the only way to plot one
is to get some points out of the data sheet and interpolate the rest.
My big problem till now was, that mathematica seems to have problems with the
interpolation, if the value of the x-axis isn't going only in one direction
(e.g. x,y  {1,0.5},{2,0.5},{3,0.5},{3,0.7},{2.5,3},{2,9}).
I tried do use Excel instead, but the resolution of the curve is too bad.

Greetings Oliver