CalculationCenter woes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28972] CalculationCenter woes
  • From: jrg at dbengines.com (John Galloway)
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I just picked up CC, figuring it would do at least to start with for
my current exploration.   I can't say I'm exactly tooo impressed.  I'm
far from ready to give up, and think I can in fact do what I wanted
(investigate some phased arrary sensor designs) but I'd have to say my
first few hours of play with CC have been as much frustrating as
satisfyijng.  How does the full blown mathematica 4.1 rate on these
issues

1) the docs are pretty bad.  I still have not figured out how to use
units, the docs on that subject only reference the existince of the
units controler and none of the examples show such.

2) 3D plots are really crude.  Having to reselect a subplot type to
change the view, then recalculate is a pathetic UI.  Limited views and
limited combinations, you can get a leftcneter view, but not if you
also what higher resolution.  The realtime subsplot type allows you to
drag the view around, but then there are not even numbers on the axis.
 Which reminds me, there appears to be no way to label an axis with
the function name or input that it is for.  If the numbers cover the
same range, how the heck do you tell which is which?  Not being able
to tag a variable with its graphic range (i.e. so it won't default to
a bad guess every time) would be nice.

3) sluggish UI performance.  I'm running this on a 500Mhz G4 mac, but
it just doesn't have a 'crisp" feel.

would be nice if there student or faculty price was extended to just
non-profesional or non-commercial use as well.