Re: MathGL3D: Keep axis when exporting to VRML ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29018] Re: MathGL3D: Keep axis when exporting to VRML ?
  • From: Martin Kraus <Martin.Kraus at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 01:47:55 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Joerg Christoffers wrote:

> Dear NewsGroup !
>
> I am using MathGL3D for Mathematica to do 3D visualization. When exporting
> the 3D object to VRML the axis gets lost. Is it possible to also export the
> axis and labels ? A 3D object without any labels and axis is worthless
> because nobody knows what it shows.

Not in all cases, but in many. From my experience with visualization
software, I guess the problem is that developers are so happy to
be able to render polygons that they easily forget about boring stuff
like text. If your object is not too complex you might consider
to use a Java applet to display it. JavaView
http://www-sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de/vgp/javaview/index.html
or LiveGraphics3D
http://wwwvis.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/~kraus/LiveGraphics3D/
are both able to display Mathematica graphics with axes and labels.
(Well, I am not so sure about what JavaView is able to do exactly,
but LiveGraphics3D does support axes rather well.)

> Best regards
> Joerg.Christoffers at Philips.com
> Philips Semiconductors Germany

Hope this helps