lists w/o double brackets

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31436] lists w/o double brackets
  • From: Gavin K Brennen <gbrennen at>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 03:48:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I am using the function FindRoot with a large number of simultaneous equations.

I have a function for generating the equations which works fine as a list
input in FindRoot, however I am having difficulty creating a function for
generating initialvals that will be accepted by FindRoot.  The problem
seems to be that FindRoot demands a format

the variables and initial values of which must appear as a list without
double brackets.  The function I have for generating the initial values
always outputs the list as follows

Note the double brackets which FindRoot will not accept.
I have tried using

  initialvals2=StringReplace[ToString[initialvals], {"{{" -> "{", "}}" ->

which eliminates the double brackets, however FindRoot will not accept
stings as input for the variables and upon converting back to an Expression

the double brackets return.

Is there a solution to this without having to manually cut and paste the
output of my expression for initialvals without the double brackets into

Thanks much,

gbrennen at