Re: How to set font size?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31263] Re: [mg31248] How to set font size?
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Lee Hon Chor (cflo) wrote:

> When I type mathematica in an Unix environment, it opens a mathematica
> session in window mode.  However, could someone tell me how to change
> the setting so that everytime I open such a mathematica session, the
> font size is bigger or smaller than the default one?

To which font are you referring?  The fonts used on interface elements
like menus and buttons, or the fonts that are used in notebook cells?

The appearance of user interface elements is governed by X resource
settings.  Specifically, explicitly specifying the value of the resource

XMathematica*fontList: <X logical font description>

in a resource file like $HOME/.Xdefaults will do the job.  For more
information on X resource settings and X logical font description syntax,
see the book _X Window System User's Guide_ (Second Edition) by Quercia &
O'Reilly <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v3m/>.

If you are referring to the fonts used in cells, these are goverened
through a mixture of global defaults and style sheets.  For more
information on style sheets, consult the online Mathematica documentation
by pasting this expression into a notebook and evaluating it.

FrontEndExecute[
  FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup[
    "OtherInformation",
    "What is a Style Sheet?"