Evaluating the Error Function of a Complex Argument

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31345] Evaluating the Error Function of a Complex Argument
  • From: Michael Thompson and Carol Aziz <alant at texas.net>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 02:23:30 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I'm looking for an algorithm or equation to evaluate the error function
of a complex argument (erf(x+yi)).  Can anyone provide assistance?  I
have been using an infinite series approximation for the complex error
function that I found in Abramowitz and Stegun's Handbook of
Mathematical Functions.  However, the solution appears inaccurate for
high values of y.  Are there any other approaches?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Please respond directly to this
email address, if possible.

Carol Aziz