Optional

Hi all,

I am having a problem with the Optional function which I have reduced to the
following snippet of code :

f // Clear;
f[Optional[index : {_Integer ...}, {1}]] := index;
f[]

My understanding of the Optional command is that the function f should
accept a list of zero or more integers as its argument or, if that is
missing, use the default value of {1}.

Under version 3, f[] (f with no arguments) returns {1}, as I would expect,
yet under version 4.1 it returns the function evaluated.

Can anyone shed any light on why this code acts differently under the two
different versions? What can I do to make it work as expected under version
4.1?

Many thanks,

Ben Langton