Re: Add a line to the top of a comma delimited file?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32794] Re: Add a line to the top of a comma delimited file?
  • From: Albert Retey <albert.retey at visualanalysis.com>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 06:23:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"1.156" wrote:

> Albert, I just tried it and it sure looks good to me.  I'm still trying
> to figure out the full significance of that /n.

Sorry, the \n is a control character which makes the "line end" so that
the next character after this will be written in the next line, it does
the same thing as when you hit the return key in most text editors. To
write it this way is very common, well known to anyone having experience
in C, and many other languages too. It has been adopted in Mathematica
and will work in other commands as Print etc. also. Unlike Print[]
WriteString[] does not automatically add this control character at the
end, so you have to put it there explicitly to get thing well formatted.

Albert