- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg32999] Inaccurate constants?
- From: david.bailey at salfordsoftware.co.uk (David Bailey)
- Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 02:38:24 -0500 (EST)
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
If I execute the following: << Miscellaneous`PhysicalConstants` << Miscellaneous`Units` Convert[GravitationalConstant*EarthMass/EarthRadius^2, Meter/Second^2] I get 9.7997 Meters/Sec^2 - which is a rather inaccurate value for g! I wonder if the EarthMass value has been calculated from one value of G and a different value has been used in the package (G is hard to measure and its accepted value has shifted somewhat). I got that result while demonstrating Mathematica to a colleague, so it was a bit embarrassing! David Bailey