Fourier Description of a Distorted Circle

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg32322] Fourier Description of a Distorted Circle
  • From: Moranresearch at aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 02:29:58 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have a data set of 360 point in polar coordinates (which when ploted give a
distorted circle).I wish to describe this as a table of values based on the
function shown below: (I don't know how to get the summation sign into an
email.)
In words f is a function of phi = Sum from n =0 to N  of (c subscript n * cos
n * (phi + alpha subscript n)). a,b,c are the fourier coefficients,alpha is
the phase shift angle; N is the total number of elements sampled per
function;n is the frequency of the harmonic component of the series, phi is
the hemimeridian angle. Thank you. John