RE: Art Graphics in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35252] RE: [mg35244] Art Graphics in Mathematica
  • From: "Wolf, Hartmut" <Hartmut.Wolf at t-systems.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 02:18:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 11:16 AM
> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg35252] [mg35244] Art Graphics in Mathematica
>

> Hi,
>

> I've just found an amazing site with really astonishing
> picutres apparently
> generated by mathematica..
>
> There are even the formulas on this site (please see below),
> but I have no
> clue, what sort of Plot this formula requires.
>
> http://silver.szote.u-szeged.hu/math/Gallery/Creatures/crea.html
>
> Any hint is highly appreciated,
>
> Regards,
> Thiery

Thiery,

since this is art, it's a matter trial, patience and phantasy. I would try
(I shortly did, but lack the patience) something like, e.g.

ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[u]*Cos[v], Cos[u]*Cos[v],
      Sin[2v], {EdgeForm[], Hue[=some function of v=]}}, {u, -Pi*3/4,
      Pi*3/4}, {v, -Pi/2, Pi/2}, Axes -> False, Boxed -> False,
    Background -> GrayLevel[0], Lighting -> False,
    PlotPoints -> 100] // Timing

To reverse engineneer that =some function of v= (or of u or both), observe
how u varies along the polygons, try to guess the argument to Hue (best make
a plot), find the most "simple" function that approximately matches your
guesses, then fine tune the parameters by visual appearance. The art is not
to spend (or perhaps just to spend) a lifetime.

For guesses of a "simple" function follow the complexity of the function
itself, for the example here try simple algebraic expressions of v, Sin[v],
Cos[v],...
Hue[1/3 - Sin[v^2]^2] just isn't it (it lacks certain obvious properties),
but may explain that approach.

--
Hartmut